Friday 27 September 2013

I can't help myself! Wood pigeons were a favourite of my father's and they are a favourite of mine also. There was a flock (the group name for pigeons is flight or flock) of them perched in our plum trees  scoffing the young leaves for all they were worth late this afternoon.

They were so engrossed with feeding their faces, they hardly noticed me as I sidled up with the camera.

You'll note an additional page on the tab under "West Bank Witterings" - Fiji Birds. That means that this old bloke has figured out how to add a page to a blog. Didn't I do well! So now I have painted myself into a corner. Do I post photos of the pigeons I saw today on this page, or do I post them on a page especially for NZ birds?

The answer is, of course, that I'll post them here for now, and perhaps add them to a NZ bird page later, 'cos I can't wait!







3 comments:

  1. Wow!! I have never seen that many pigeons in one tree before! I'm glad you ran and got your camera for these shots because I too, like you, love the kererū. From their soft cooing sounds to the whooshing of their wings in flight to their plump bodies and striking plumage - what's not to love? Oh, and of course their clumsy, crash landings in trees (or large glass windows as one did once at our place at Scotts Landing when drunk and heavy on puriri berries.) It cracked the window but, thankfully was not hurt. P.S I hope they leave you some plums! Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily, they appear to be only eating the young leaves. I don't know if I would be quite so happy about them in the plum trees otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently they love nitrogen-rich leaves at the moment for breeding but they will also eat plums when they come along...
      Here's an interesting site: http://www.kererudiscovery.org.nz/
      There's some photos of their chicks (which I've never seen before) in the Kereru News. P.

      Delete