Monday 10 March 2014

 Queenstown at last. TSS Earnslaw sailing sedately up the lake towards Walter Peak Station homestead that can be seen in the distance behind the beacon. Walter Peak itself is the rocky peak above and to the right of the trees. 

 A trip in the gondola takes us up the hill behind Queenstown for a superb view around the Wakatipu basin. The township of Frankton where I lived for the first few years of my life can be seen in the upper left of the photo.

 We lived at Cecil Peak Station from 1960 until 1975. Cecil Peak itself is in the foreground, and the homestead is in the valley just behind and to the left of the mountain. Bayonet Peak, part of the station,  forms the other side of the valley. 

The little blue building was once the Queenstown District's Maternity Hospital where I, two of my siblings and three of my children were born. It is now a backpacker's hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment